Thursday, October 18, 2012

Days 12-18 Catch Up

I have been very bad about blogging this last week or so.  Here is a not so quick update on what is going on with us and what I have been thankful for this week.

Day 12
This day I was thankful for my beautiful baby girl.  October 12th was Autumn's second birthday.  I'll do a birthday post with her stats later.  Autumn had a fun actual birthday despite having to go to the doctor and get a shot.  She got to leave school early, spend time with Mommy and Grandma and then spend some time with Papa and Bobbi in the evening.  These last two years have been so full of love, joy, and happy moments.  I wouldn't change a thing about Autumn or how she has changed our lives.  I can't imagine a world without my sweet little princess in it.  She brings so much laughter and life to our home.  I love you sweet girl!



Autumn helping Papa paint Mommy and Daddy's room.

Day 13
This day I was thankful for our family bay house.  We got a late start heading down to the bay for Tio Luke's birthday. 

We had a family breakfast at Einstein bagels (love their new Pumpkin Almond Crunch bagel with Honey Almond Shmear).  Then we decided to knock out our new mattress purchase.  We checked out a few stores and then finally decided on one of the first mattresses we tried out.  Our mattress is very old and basically everything we tried out felt better than what we had. Andrew and I don't have sleeping or back issues, so we both felt like our best bet was to buy the cheapest mattress that felt comfortable to us.  We had a certain price range that we wanted to stay in and I think we did pretty well with that, coming in a little under budget even! 

Anyways, after all of the mattress shopping we finally headed down to the bay around 3pm.  As soon as we got there we were assigned babies to hold and love on. :-)

We enjoyed a yummy birthday dinner of fried fish, mac n cheese, blue cheese salad and cupcakes.  I even got to have a small glass of the birthday wine.

I love spending birthdays, holidays, special occasions, etc. down at the bay.  It is always relaxing to get away for a day or two and spend time with family relaxing and enjoying beautiful views of the bay.



Tio Luke and Daddy holding babies.

Daddy getting in some baby practice.
   
Autumn holding Liliana (I think).  She's going to be a great big sister!

Giving baby kisses.


Mommy feeding Lilah.

Daddy practicing juggling two babies.

Day 14
This day I was thankful for discipline.  Sunday evening after we got home from the bay I headed to the grocery store with Autumn.  She was fairly good for most of the trip (aside from a few times that she got out of her "car" attached to the grocery cart) until we got to the checkout line. 

I had told Autumn that I was buying her some princess fruit snacks and that she could have some when we got to the car.  She was excited about them.  This little girl loves her some fruit snacks.  Anyways, at the register Autumn got very fussy and was fighting with me, refusing to hold my hand, sit in the "car", etc.  She finally bit me before we left.  I scolded her a little in the store for biting, but when we got to the car I decided that she would NOT be getting any fruit snacks as punishment for her biting. 

After loading Autumn and all of the groceries in the car she began asking for her snacks.  I stopped by her car seat and explained to her that she would not be getting any fruit snacks in the car because she bit Mommy.  Autumn understood why she was not getting the fruit snacks, but she was SOOO mad!  I had to have Andrew call in our dinner order while I headed to Wings n Things to pick it up.  The whole way there I talked to Autumn about why we don't bite and who we don't bite.  She eventually calmed down, but it was a rough 15 minutes or so.  I told her that Mommy loves her and she said "No!".  That hurt, but I kept talking to her the whole car ride, trying to fill the empty spaces between cries.

I feel like disciplining a child take discipline.  I always experience contradictory emotions when I discipline Autumn.  I feel proud of myself for doing what I know is best for her in the long run, but I am also torn because she gets so upset.  I think I do a fairly good job of keeping my anger and frustration in check when I need to discipline.  Andrew and I are not opposed to spanking, but we really try to avoid it when we can, because it can easily be abused as an outlet for the parents frustration rather than as actual discipline.  Autumn really doesn't take a lot of discipling, but she does need some these days as she is pushing her boundaries. 

We've also had problems with her biting for the last 6 months or so.  It's not something she does everyday, but she does it frequently when she wants something and can't have it or when she is frustrated and can't express her feelings verbally.  We have a very strict policy with biting.  She gets immediate time out or spankings when she bites.  With other behavior that requries discipline we often do the whole counting thing (1-2-3) before she is put into time out.

This day I was thankful for the discipline I had to discipline Autumn.  I feel like we had a positive outcome in the end.  She is starting to learn that there are consequences for bad behavior.

Day 15
This day I was thankful for my little artist.  Monday night after dinner we let Autumn out of her highchair to play in the living room while we finished up dinner with Papa and Bobbi.  Autumn has been playing a lot in the living room lately.  Her princess castle is set up in there as well as a table and chairs.  She has tons of toys to play with and she loves playing by herself or with Mommy and Daddy. 

Monday night though she decided to get into Mommy's paint supplies.  I am working on a couple of paint projects for our living room and Olivia's room.  I had a canvas and several bottles of acrylic paint sitting out in the living room.  While we were finishing up dinner Autumn pulled out the canvas and squeezed several different colors of paint on it.  She then began mixing the paint together.  I am so thankful that all of her painting ended up on the canvas and not at all on any furniture or on the floors.  I'm not sure what we will do with her painting, but I do think we have a future Pollock on our hands.




Day 16
This day I was thankful for good doctors.  I had my 36/37 week appointment on Tuesday.  I had a quick ultrasound to check Olivia's position.  She is still breech.  My doctor wanted to go ahead and schedule a c-section for 39 weeks in case Olivia doesn't turn.  At this point it is not impossible for her to turn head down, but it is unlikely.  My doctor is always very reasssuring and comforting.  I am thankful that we have great health insurance and that I have been able to receive excellent prenatal care.  Olivia is growing perfectly, but she's just being a little stubborn right now.  Hopefully she will turn around before Monday when I have my next ultrasound.  I am trying to do exercises to help her turn, but it is hard to find time since I am at work all day.  Either way I am confident that Olivia's birth will be handled with care and that she and I will both be taken care of.

Day 17
This day I was thankful for pumpkin cheesecakes.  We had dinner with my parents last night at Olive Garden.  Olive Garden is not my favorite restaurant by any means, but in the fall I love to go there because of their Pumpkin Cheesecake.  It is fabulous.  If you love pumpkin desserts then you must try this one.

Day 18
Today I am thankful for a healthy baby.  Today I am 37 weeks pregnant - full term.  Autumn was born at 37 weeks and 1 day and was prefectly healthy (although very small).  I am now far enough along that if I were to go into labor early Olivia should be perfectly healthy as well.  At all of my appointments Olivia has looked great and I am thankful for a healthy pregnancy thus far.  I can't wait to meet our littlest princess in just 13 days (or less if she decides to come early).  Right now our c-section is scheduled for 12:30pm on Halloween.  We're going to have a Halloween baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment