Monday, January 23, 2012

Blogs I read

So, I have started to read other people's blogs this year as I have started my own blog.  I love learning new ideas for blogging from other people.  I also love learning other people's stories.  Two blogs in particular have been specially enjoyable.

Live Learn Love Eat
I found this blog when searching for "all things Autumn" one day.  This is a blog by a mom, Tiffany,  somewhere in Canada who has a redheaded daughter named Autumn and two other beautiful daughters.  She is a vegan and posts new vegan recipes consistently.  Although I have no intentions of going vegan I do intend to try some of her yummy looking recipes at some point.  Tiffany has an amazing story.  She has struggled with an eating disorder in the past and has found joy on the other side of it.  She is a true inspiration.  I have found her posts to be very mature beyond her years and have really enjoyed reading them.

Becoming Minimalist
I found this blog through Allison's blog.  This blog has been incredibly influential on me this year.  It is a blog about a normal family that decided to become minimalist a few years ago.  It is written by Joshua Becker, who has also written a book, called Simplify

I don't know why, but for some reason something just clicked when I started reading this blog.  I think it had to do with the time of year.  Every year after Christmas for the past three years or so, I feel so burdened by all of the "stuff" we have.  Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all of the presents we receive from friends and family and I enjoy giving presents as well, but I also just feel like we have so much "stuff" this time of year, due to the added "stuff" we receive during the Christmas season. 

I don't have any intentions of going completely minimalist (or whatever that really means).  I intend to find my own version of minimalism, which is what the blog author seems to encourage.  One of my New Year's resolutions is to declutter.  Joshua's blog is a guideline of sorts for helping me do that.  So far this year I have decluttered my bedroom.  I have taken 5 or 6 very large lawn and leaf bags full of clothes and accessories to Goodwill.  My closet seems so clean and orderly.  I can clearly see everything.  I have also gotten rid of tons of bath & body stuff that I will probably never get around to using.  I used the question of "when was the last time I used/wore this?" to help me determine what to get rid of.  It is amazing how much clothes, accessories, bubble bath, lotion, makeup, jewelry, etc. that I have accumulated over the years.  Now, to be honest, I have only decluttered/minimized by half of the bedroom.  Andrew is in the middle of busy season, so his half will not be completed until after April 15th.  I know this is only one half of four bedrooms in my house (not counting the other rooms like the kitchen and living room), but it has been incredibly freeing to declutter or minimize half of one room.  I feel like I have energy to do the rest of the house over the coming months.  A little at a time.

One of the biggest benefits of becoming minimalist is the decrease in spending.  I have not really bought anything this month other than food/necessities.  The only purchase I would say I have made was a toy chest for Autumn from Target.  I bought a nicer looking one to store her toys in our living room.  It feels very freeing to pay smaller credit card bills at the end of each month.

Check out my blog roll for other blogs I read when I can find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment