Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Great Grandpa Walker's 80th Birthday Party

Last weekend we went to Dallas to celebrate Great-Grandpa Walker's 80th birthday party with Andrew's extended family on his Dad's side.  We all stayed at the Hilton Anatole Hotel, which I recommend.  It was a very nice hotel, although paying for parking on top of the hotel charge is always a little frustrating.  We got into the hotel around 1am on Saturday morning.  We had left Houston around 8:30, so that Autumn could just sleep the whole car ride.  That plan worked out very well, until we got to the hotel, which was teaming with University of Arkansas fans fresh from the Cotton Bowl.  Autumn got a little wound up from all of the commotion and ended up sleeping in bed with us the rest of the night.

On Saturday morning I got up, ran 2.5 miles outside on the hotel's track before they turned the sprinklers on, then I ran another 5.5 miles inside at the hotel gym.  This was my last "long run" before the Houston Marathon next Sunday.  For some reason 8 miles just deosn't seem like a long run anymore.  After cleaning up, Autumn and I headed out to the Southlake/Grapevine area.  We visited with Andrew's cousin Madeleine briefly while we dropped off and picked up some stuff from her house.  Then Autumn and I met up with two of my college roommates, Bethany and Mary.  I guess I haven't been paying attention to facebook lately, because I was surprised to see that Mary was pregnant (and very pregnant at that).  She is due with a little boy, Max, next month.  We had a fun lunch at PF Chang's with Beth, Mary and Beth's little girl, Ellie, who is a little over 2.  Sorry, no pictures from the lunch :-(

Saturday evening we all headed to Chuy's for the birthday dinner.  Chuy's is always one of my favorites, but I probably overdid it with my caloric intake that night.  I had 2 margaritas, tons of chips and "Creamy J" and split a "lite entree" with Andrew.  I am estimating 55 Weight Watchers Points Plus values for that meal.  Yikes!  After the dinner we went back to our hotel room for cake, presents, and socializing.  Grandpa Walker got an iPad from his kids, a hat and a back scratcher.  I'm sure he got more presents that I am forgetting.  It was nice to spend some time with Andrew's Aunts and Uncles and cousins, many of whom I had never met (in the 13+ years we have been together).

On Sunday, Luke, Aislynn, Andrew, Autumn and I met up with Randy, Melody and Noah for brunch at a little cafe in the Galleria area. 

Overall, it was a fun and quick trip.  Here are some pics from the weekend:

Grandpa Walker opening his present from Terry and Sandy (a hat).

Birthday Cake courtesy of Sandy.
 
Autumn slept through most of the fun.


Grandpa trying out one of his other presents, a back scratcher.


Andrew hanging out.

Birthday candles.
 
Grandpa telling a story, or explaining all of his pills, I forget which.

 
Still sleeping through the fun.


Cousins!
 
Mr. Noah


Melody and Autumn having some fun.
  
Tia and Tio at brunch.


1 comment: