Friday, July 20, 2012

More lessons from my first 30 years - #2

Way back in February I started to blog about things I have learned in my first 30 years.  My intention was to blog 30 insights I have gained between then and my birthday.  Well, my birthday will be here in a little more than 16 weeks (Olivia will be here in 16 weeks or less and my birthday is right after my due date), so I better get busy finishing these blog posts.  If you want to read my first post check it out here.

For  my second insight I have learned in my first 30 years I have decided to discuss my most important beauty routine - SUNSCREEN.  I thought this would be timely, considering we're in the middle of the summer months when most people have the most sun exposure during the year.

My most important beauty routine, something I do every single day, is wear sunscreen on my face.  I haven't always used sunscreen every day.  It is something I started probably in my mid-twenties.  When I was a child my parents were pretty good about making me wear sunscreen, because if I didn't I would burn very easily, which was no fun at all.  I only had a few severe burns when I was young, mostly in places you forget to put sunscreen on (like feet, ears, scalp, or those butt cheeks for when the swim suit rides up).  When I was a teenager I usually wore sunscreen, but I would use a lower SPF to try to get tan.  I also visited a tanning bed about once a year to "get my tan started".  Anyone who knows me knows I don't tan, but at 13 or 14 you can easily allude yourself into beliving the unbelievable.  Looking back, I think I was very naive and uninformed on the dangers of sun expsoure.  As I reached my mid-twenties I started to become aware of anti-aging products and I have always heard that a good sunscreen is the best anti-aging product available.  This has been my mantra since.

After Autumn was born, Andrew made sure I understood how important it was for us to be diligent with using sunscreen on her.  As you know, Autumn has inherited my fair skin and red hair (and to be honest Daddy has relatively fair skin as well).  Andrew actually told me he would even bribe our daughters when they are older with back-to-school shopping money if they went all summer without any sunburns.  I am a huge fan of this idea. 

I am a huge proponent of ALL people taking extra measures to protect themselves from sun exposure.  And here is why . . .

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. The two most common types of skin cancer—basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas—are highly curable. However, melanoma, the third most common skin cancer, is more dangerous. About 65%–90% of melanomas are caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light."

Skin cancer, although the most common form of cancer, is among the most preventable forms of cancer.  Sunscreen is vital in limiting one's risk for skin cancer later on in life.  Yale Medical Group has a great article on preventing skin cancer.  In particular the article says " It is also true the majority of sun exposure occurs in childhood, so it is critical that parents take special precautions to protect young children. The genetic damage caused by the sun accumulates over time like compound interest, so any protection that can be provided in childhood will pay off later."  Parents please use sunscreen on your kiddos now!

Ok, enough of my ranting.  Here are a few of my favorite sunscreens:
A few other sun tips:
  • Wear a hat in the sun.  I usually wear a good mesh or breathable hat when running and a wide brim Columbia fishing hat when at the bay.
  • Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
  • Avoid spending a lot of time in the sun during peak sun exposure hours, think the hottest part of the day (11-4 ish)
  • Wear an SPF 30 or higher
  • Use a moisturizer with SPF in it already.
  • Buy clothes (particularly swimsuits and workout gear) with UV protection.
  • Avoid tanning beds like the plague.
  • Don't forget to have fun in the sun!!! :-)


Autumn and I at the bay earlier this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment