Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 Goals

So I am still in the process of updating my blog with posts about our Christmas and Olivia's first couple of months, but I also don't want to lose track of things that are happening currently.  I will be mixing up blog posts between updates on the past few months and updates on current events until I get caught up (hopefully by the end of January).  Anyways, I wanted to take a minute to jot down some of my gaols or resolutions for 2013.  Here goes:

Personal Goals:
  1. Workout consistently (3 x per week).  I am planning to discuss workout schedules with Andrew every weekend for the coming week, so that we can plan to succeed in this goal (note Andrew has a similar goal).
  2. Finish losing baby weight and then some.  Goes along with goal #1.  I have done really well with my weight loss this time around, but I still have around 10-12 lbs to lose before I am at my pre-baby weight and then I would like to lose another 5 lbs on top of that.  I am continuing to do Weight Watchers, which has been very successful for me in the past.  I am also planning to do the Lifetime Fitness 90 day challenge.
  3. Track WW points daily and weigh in weekly.
  4. Do a daily devotional.  I need to dig out an old devotional book or buy a new one.  I'm a little behind with this goal this year.  That said I do read the Proverbs 31 devos daily (M-F), so I guess I'm not doing too bad.
  5. Take my prenatal vitamin daily.  I am horrible about remembering to do this.
  6. Limit my Diet Soda intake and drink more water.  I would like to drink at least 50 oz. of water a day.  I'm really bad about remembering to drink water, especially on the weekends.
Work Goals
  1. Start getting into work between 7am and 7:30am.  If I get into work earlier I can leave earlier.  I really want to get on a 7 to 4 schedule, but I have a hard time getting going in the mornings.  I have had a few days where I have gotten in before 8am, but then I've had things come up that have kept me at work past 5pm, so getting in early didn't help on those days.  Olivia has also been sick this last week (she has RSV), so we've been losing a decent amount of sleep, which makes the mornings harder.  I am hoping I can make some progress with this goal next week once O gets on a better sleep schedule.
  2. Complete all account reconciliations by the 15th of every month.  This is not too much of a stretch for me, but it will require me to manage my time a little better in the last few days of month end close.
  3. Be able to complete the Annual Statement by myself for 2013.  We have to file an Annual Statement with the Texas Department of Insurance.  This is a huge form to say the least and it is complex and bureaucratic.  I have learned a lot about it in the past year, but there is still a lot that I need to learn.
Family Goals
  1. Cook at least 3 times a week.  I have started planning out meals on Fridays for the coming week.
  2. Limit grocery store runs.  Planning out my meals helps with this.  I am hoping to limit my grocery store visits to twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays.
  3. Spend more time with Autumn and Olivia.  If I can manage my work goal #1 then this should allow me more time with the girls in the evenings.  Also if I can limit my grocery store visits then I won't be running up there every night to get something I forgot, which will help me to have more time with the girls too.
  4. Teach Autumn more about praying and reading her Bible.  She loves to pray.  It is SO cute.
  5. Pray with Andrew more often.
  6. Plan more family meals with extended family (at least monthly). 
  7. Plan more girls nights.  I used to get together with a group of ladies monthly for a girls night.  That was a few years ago and we've all become much busier.  I would like to get together with some of my closest girlfriends at least once a month for a dinner out or at someones home.
  8. Weekly family meetings.  I would like to sit down with Andrew every weekend to discuss our plans for the week: meals, work schedules, workout plans, etc.  I think this will help keep us more organized and less stressed during the week.
Financial Goals
  1. Keep my spending under a certain dollar amount each month. 
  2. Have monthly meetings with Andrew at the beginning of each month to go over our personal financial statement and our financial plans/goals for the month.
  3. Buy a new house.  Andrew and I looked at a new home a few weekends ago.  It was actually a new old home (built the same year as ours) and after looking at it we decided it wasn't the right fit, but we did start thinking about buying or building a new house.  I am very excited about this idea and am really trying to push Andrew on it.  It seems like every 12-18 months we toy with the idea of a new house, but we always end up staying right where we are.  I like our house, I really do, no matter what Andrew tells you.  But there are two big issues with our house.  1. We have NO storage whatsoever.  We don't have an attic and our only storage is the guest room closet.  I currently have my Christmas decorations stored at my parents house.  2. We don't have a play room.  I realize that a play room is a luxury and one that is totally unnecessary, but it would be really nice to have.  I would like to be able to reclaim our living room as an adult space and banish all of the kids toys to a play room.
This is a very long list of goals and I probably won't keep half of them, but I am going to try.  My approach is to view my goals this year as a process rather than being able to do all of these goals perfectly by January 1st.  Andrew also has some great goals for this year, many of which line up with mine.  Some of his include running the full marathon, riding the MS 150, getting more organized at work and spending more time with the girls.

I think the overriding theme of my goals this year is organization.  I think if I can get more organized that many of these goals can easily become a reality.  If you've read this far then you have a longer attention span than me.  I hope you have a blessed 2013 and are able to accomplish your goals this year as well.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!! I like the idea of having a weekly family meeting to get on the same page about plans, meals, outings, work schedules etc. Might have to steal that one from you! :)

    ReplyDelete